All about the Green Scapular
Eternal Consecration Prayer of the Green Scapular
In the years after the manifestation of the Miraculous Medal to Sister Catherine Laboure in 1830, the Blessed Mother entrusted the Green Scapular of the Immaculate Heart to Sister Justine Bisqueyburu, likewise a Daughter of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul.
The manner of using the Scapular was indicated by the Blessed Virgin. Since it is not the badge of a confraternity but simply a double image attached to a single piece of cloth and suspended from a cord, investiture is not required. It suffices that it be blessed by a priest and worn by the one for whom it is intended. It may be placed in the clothing, on the bed, or simply in the room.
The only prayer is the inscription surrounding the heart on the reverse of the Scapular: “Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death.” Although wonderful graces are obtained, they are proportionate to the confidence with which it is given.
The Green Scapular was twice approved by Pope Pius IX, in 1863, and again in 1870, when he said: “Write to these good Sisters that I authorize them to make and distribute it.”
1. Wear or carry the scapular
2. To help another, place it in their vicinity (i.e. their room)
3. Pray, at least daily: “Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death.”
4. The prayer should be said for oneself and separately for each person to whom it has been given (unless they pray themselves).
5. No enrollment of any kind is necessary, but each scapular should be blessed by a priest (general blessing of sacramentals).
6. Have confidence in the effects of the scapular: “The greatest graces come from using the scapular but these graces come in direct proportion to the degree of confidence in me which the user has.”
1. Conversion of those who do not have the faith
2. Reconciliation to the Church for those who have lost/strayed from the faith
3. Assurance of a happy death
4. Strengthening of the faith for those already in the Church
5. Protection from Satan for those who wear or promote the scapular
We ask then Almighty Father that Thou wouldst permit us to place all these souls in Mother’s hands, those whom have touched our life in some way. We wish to consecrate today our family members, friends, yes even our enemies; to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. We know that Thou, our Divine Majesty, wilt refuse Thy Son nothing, and that Thy beloved Son can refuse His Mother nothing when it comes to the salvation of souls. I make this act of Eternal Consecration only once, my Merciful Father, and beg Thee to apply its merits to those whom have their names placed on a Green Scapular. We offer for those souls Thy Son’s most beloved Body and Blood in the Holy Eucharist, along with the Rosaries, prayers, joys, sacrifices and sufferings of each day, past and present until the end of our lives.
Oh most Merciful Father, today I beg Thee to accept my sincere act of love in consecrating my entire life to Thy Son’s most Sacred Heart. I do this not alone my dearest Father, but through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Queen of the Green Scapular. With her heart so pierced with the seven sorrows, at the beginning of Thy Son’s life until His tortuous death, she cries daily for those who choose not to love Thy Divine Son, Jesus. Even today with so many souls choosing to spend their eternity in Hell, she longs for our intercession to bring others to know and love our God: the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
We know with great confidence that the Queen of the Green Scapular will not rest until she secures the gift of Final Perseverance for all those living souls clothed in her Green Scapular. She will beckon her Divine Son for, not only the spiritual conversion back to Thee, Eternal Father, but also physical cures of those whose mission on this earth requires Thy Son’s gift of a physical healing.
Most holy Lord, Father Almighty, if it be Thy Divine Will, allow me to serve Thy Son and His Mother daily in this struggle against the infernal enemy, where together in Communion of Thy Son’s Divine Mercy, we may bring forth the reign of the Immaculate Heart by placing the entire world on Her Green Scapular. Amen.